Sponsored Product Review: Suu Balm, the first itch relief moisturizer

10/05/2017

My eczema had been with me since I was a child, being most prominent on my hands and legs. Over the years, the eczema on my legs have seem to get better, although they were always there. Those days, my family members were very desperate to help me, because itch is a condition that is impossible to cure. You can only apply temporary itch relief cream and the itch would return soon after. As an eczema sufferer, there is nothing much I can do when i feel the itch on my often broken, scaly and peeling skin.

As a young child, my mother can put mittens on my hands, make me wear socks, long sleeve shirts and long pants so that I would stop scratching, but as I grow older, this gets harder. I have tried almost every possible product in the market that was meant for Sensitive skin. To cut the very long story short, I have since started the Let's Fight Eczema column in my blog, hoping to help this special group of sufferers like me. You are not alone, let's fight this together.


What is Eczema?
It is otherwise known as Atopic Dermatitis, a skin condition that often results in red, broken skin and itch.

I have been on the look out for eczema skin relief products, and I saw Suu Balm while shopping in one of the local pharmacy and decided to read up about this product.


Suu balm featured here includes the 75ml tube, 15ml travel tube and sample sachets.

Who/What is Suu Balm?

Suu Balm is a product formulated at the National Skin Centre (NSC) for the purpose of relieving itch. The product is designed for anybody with dry, itchy skin to provide itch relief and increases the frequency of moisturizing, breaking the itch-scratch cycle to prevent further damage from scratching.



If you are wondering, Suu Balm does not contain steroid and is paraben free. You are encouraged to apply it anytime when your skin feels dry and itchy. Due to its menthol content, the cream is not suitable for children under 3 years. You are also not encouraged to use the cream on broken skin, wet skin or near your mouth and eyes as they can sting on these areas.



Suu Balm in 75ml , purchase online @ $19.90 and get the travel size 15ml tube for free.

Let's put Suu Balm to the test:



On day 1, immediately after I got my Suu Balm, I decided to apply it on my elbows and fingers.





You can see how bad my elbows and fingers are. Some spots are red and I have scratched till my skin are broken and cracking.



On day 2, I realise that the broken skin on my elbows were healing. The skin around my fingers were still cracking but the crack had begin its healing process too.



On day 3, my eczema was very itchy so I couldn't control myself. Even when I applied Suu Balm, it did not help me much with the itch relief. You can see new spots on the base of my elbow but the old spots were healing. The broken skin on my palm also worsen.



During this 3 days of the product trial, I feel that Suu Balm works better on my elbow than my fingers and palms. Even when I had an uncontrollable itch and scratch my elbows, Suu Balm still continues to moisturize my skin and heals them.



Review of Suu Balm



What they claim to be:
- Smooth & non-sticky
- Moisturizing
- Soothing

Texture: ★★★★☆
Suu Balm does feels smooth when applied as they proclaims, and it is a little oily than sticky when applied (that's the purpose of a moisturizer right?) It feels soothing because of the menthol content, that's when you get your immediate itch relief, similar to what you will get from applying calamine lotion or applying a medicated oil, but it does not dry out my skin compared to those. It is very light and more on the watery than creamy side, so it feels comfortable when applied on the skin.

Scent: ★★★★★
I am glad that they do not contain any artificial fragrance except for the menthol smell. I do not recommend you to put your nose near the product as it may sting your eyes.

Caring Tip:
As eczema sufferers, we should refrain ourselves from using any products which contain fragrance. This includes perfume or any strong scented products even on our household products or cleaning detergents.

Results: ★★★★☆
I like how Suu Balm relief my itch almost instantly when I feel like scratching my skin, especially on my hands and elbow areas. I also see myself reaching out for Suu Balm whenever i feel itchy more than reaching out for my steroid cream. I especially like that it contains menthol and give me the cooling sensation when I applied the product, this is something that most commercial moisturizers cannot provide me.

Suu Balm is most effective for me before bedtime as I would apply it, let the menthol do its job, sleep and wouldn't feel any itch.

Rating: ★★★★☆
Recommended for people with sensitive, eczema skin and need a relief from itch and scratching.
People with dry skin should also try Suu Balm.


Final thoughts:


Suu Balm in travel size (15ml), these are great for us on-the-go, especially for serious eczema sufferers, small tubes are easier to carry and lighter.

Unlike daily commercial moisturizers that only work to help boost the moisture content in your skin, Suu Balm contains menthol which acts as an almost instant itch relief. You can even use them for temporary relief of itch from insect and mosquito bites. I especially like to apply them before heading outdoors and before bedtime. I feel that the smell of the menthol in Suu Balm, helps me repel these nasty insects too.

No doubt Suu Balm is useful to moisturize an eczema skin, this is not a medication for eczema skin. It also depends on how serious is your condition so I would suggest you to continue your oral medication and steroid creams if you have very serious eczema but use this moisturizer as an added protection. For seasonal eczema cases or those with lighter skin condition, applying Suu Balm itself should be able to help your skin heal fast.

Suu Balm is especially helpful for eczema sufferers but people with normal skin looking for moisturizers can reap its benefits too. Use it as a daily moisturizer after your shower, after sports to moisturize your skin and give your skin some much needed love.

Regardless of any products, do check out its ingredient list to make sure that it does not contain any ingredients that you are allergic to. If unsure, always check with the pharmacist or your doctor before buying the product or you may want to request for a sample here, please note that samples are available for those residing in a Singapore address only, and do a patch test on your skin before applying on affected areas.



You can buy Suu Balm online, or visit Qoo10 and search for Suu Balm, or at most Watson’s Pharmacy stores and OG Department stores. Suu Balm can also be purchased at several hospital pharmacies (National Skin Centre, NUH, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, Changi General Hospital) and from certain dermatologists and GP’s.


Disclaimer:
This product is sent to me by Suu Balm for my review. Thank you for the collaboration in my efforts for Let's Fight Eczema, with this i hope to reach out to more companies with products suitable for eczema skin. Let's connect.

All photographs on this site belongs to the property of Pearlywerkz. Do ask for permission if you wish to utilize them. Review is 100% honest and based on personal experience. There is no monetary rewards received for this product review.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the review. Through this, I learned my case is not exceptional. I mean, whenever I itch and scratch almost all night, I always think I am the only one suffering this kind of skin problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same thoughts too. You are not alone and there are many products in the market that can help us. I am still fighting the battle! So join me. #letsfighteczema

      Delete

Popular Posts

Copyright 2011-2024